All-solid-state Lithium-ion Batteries
A next-generation battery expected to be a game changer in the future
An all-solid-state lithium-ion battery (AS-LiB®) is a battery that uses solid substances for all its constituent materials.
Hitachi Zosen has developed a proprietary manufacturing method that utilizes machining technology.
This manufacturing method eliminates the mechanical pressurization required when charging and discharging conventional all-solid-state lithium-ion batteries.
- The all-solid-state lithium-ion battery has a structure in which a positive electrode layer, a solid electrolyte layer, and a negative electrode layer are laminated.
- The solid electrolyte also fulfills the role of a separator that only allows the movement of lithium ions, and prevents contact between the positive and negative electrodes.
- When a load is applied in the charging direction, the lithium ions of the positive electrode diffuse to the negative electrode via the solid electrolyte layer. During discharge, the lithium ions move in the opposite direction.
- 1High level of safety
- No liquid material is used, so there is no need to worry about liquid leakage.
- The solid electrolyte is flame-retardant, so no flammable gas is generated due to heat generation.
- We conducted a nail piercing test on the developed AS-LiB®. Our AS-LiB® did not ignite, emit smoke, or explode, even under conditions where conventional electrolyte-based lithium-ion batteries ignite. This proves the high safety of our batteries.
- 2Wide operating temperature range
- Since a solid electrolyte is used, there is no solidification at low temperatures. Therefore, the AS-LiB® can operate even in a low temperature environment of -40℃.
- The solid electrolyte does not decompose even at high temperatures. This enables charging and discharging even in high temperature environments where normal electrolyte-based lithium-ion batteries are difficult to operate.
Hitachi Zosen has developed a battery that can operate stably even in an environment of +120℃.
- 3Excellent environmental resistance
- A battery configuration with minimal volatile components is realized by using a solid electrolyte. The configuration does not expand significantly even under vacuum.
- Hitachi Zosen has applied our own manufacturing technology to develop a battery that can operate stably even in an environment of 1.0 x 10-2 Pa.
- Aerospace equipment applications in a high vacuum and high/low temperatures
- For factories, infrastructure, and industrial machinery that require safe usage of batteries in special environments
- Medical device applications that require high-temperature sterilization
Initiatives with JAXA
Decision made to perform demonstration experiments for practical use of all-solid-state lithium-ion batteries in space
-Launch of the Japanese Experiment Module "Kibo" from autumn 2021-
The Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency (JAXA) and Hitachi Zosen have signed a joint research agreement for demonstration experiments aimed at the world's first commercialization of an all-solid-state lithium-ion battery in space. In the demonstration experiment, an all-solid-state lithium-ion battery was installed on the small outboard payload support device (SPySE) on the IVA-replaceable Small Exposed Experiment Platform (i-SEEP) that is installed on the outboard experiment platform of the Japanese Experiment Module "Kibo" on the International Space Station (ISS). We then check if the all-solid-state lithium-ion battery can operate in a harsh environment.
Moving forward, we plan to develop equipment necessary for space demonstration of all-solid-state batteries and to conduct demonstration tests. From autumn 2021, the equipment will be launched for installation on the ISS, and demonstration experiments will be conducted for about six months from the end of 2021.
Click here for inquiries about Hitz technology