All-solid-state Lithium-ion Batteries
A next-generation battery expected to be a game changer in the future
An all-solid-state lithium-ion battery (AS-LiB®) is a battery that uses solid substances for all its constituent materials.
Hitachi Zosen has developed a proprietary manufacturing method that utilizes machining technology.
This manufacturing method eliminates the mechanical pressurization required when charging and discharging conventional all-solid-state lithium-ion batteries.
- The all-solid-state lithium-ion battery has a structure in which a positive electrode layer, a solid electrolyte layer, and a negative electrode layer are laminated.
- The solid electrolyte also fulfills the role of a separator that only allows the movement of lithium ions, and prevents contact between the positive and negative electrodes.
- When a load is applied in the charging direction, the lithium ions of the positive electrode diffuse to the negative electrode via the solid electrolyte layer. During discharge, the lithium ions move in the opposite direction.
- 1High level of safety
- No liquid material is used, so there is no need to worry about liquid leakage.
- The solid electrolyte is flame-retardant, so no flammable gas is generated due to heat generation.
- We conducted a nail piercing test on the developed AS-LiB®. Our AS-LiB® did not ignite, emit smoke, or explode, even under conditions where conventional electrolyte-based lithium-ion batteries ignite. This proves the high safety of our batteries.
- 2Wide operating temperature range
- Since a solid electrolyte is used, there is no solidification at low temperatures. Therefore, the AS-LiB® can operate even in a low temperature environment of -40℃.
- The solid electrolyte does not decompose even at high temperatures. This enables charging and discharging even in high temperature environments where normal electrolyte-based lithium-ion batteries are difficult to operate.
Hitachi Zosen has developed a battery that can operate stably even in an environment of +120℃.
- 3Excellent environmental resistance
- A battery configuration with minimal volatile components is realized by using a solid electrolyte. The configuration does not expand significantly even under vacuum.
- Hitachi Zosen has applied our own manufacturing technology to develop a battery that can operate stably even in an environment of 1.0 x 10-2 Pa.
- Aerospace equipment applications in a high vacuum and high/low temperatures
- For factories, infrastructure, and industrial machinery that require safe usage of batteries in special environments
- Medical device applications that require high-temperature sterilization
Initiatives with JAXA
All-solid-state Lithium-ion Batteries' Charge/Discharge Operation in Space, World First
Aiming to apply AS-LiB® to spacecraft, JAXA(Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency) and Hitachi Zosen have been collaborating on the development of all-solid-state lithium-ion batteries.
The all-solid-state lithium-ion battery on-orbit experiment equipment (Space AS-LiB), which was equipped with AS-LiB®, was launched on February 20, 2022 (JST) to the International Space Station(ISS) and we confirmed their appropriate performance in the space environment, marking the world’s first success of its kind.
The image on the lower right is a photograph taken by a camera mounted on Space AS-LiB with AS-LiB® electric power.In the back of the image, outer space such as the earth and facility of the Japanese Experiment Module “Kibo” was projected. From now on, we plan to conduct a characterization of AS-LiB® under space-exposed condition.
Click here for inquiries about Hitz technology